Children's Religious Education at FUS
Welcome to our 2014-15 year
of Children’s Religious Education!
We look forward to continuing the journey with our returning friends and welcoming new friends to our CRE community.
Each year we offer classes that help us and our children deepen our understanding of Unitarian Universalism, of the diverse world we live in, and of our responsibility to care for this magnificent earth we call “home.” We strive to create a welcoming, supportive, and enthusiastic community of seekers. We strengthen our critical thinking “muscles” and celebrate our privilege of learning and growing together. We’re happy to have you as part of our celebration!
Our Children’s Religious Education program serves kids in pre-school through 9th grade. With over 500 children enrolled, we are the second largest UU children’s religious education program in the country! We cannot do this without the commitment and contributions of parents. All CRE parents are asked to volunteer in some capacity. Be sure to review the list of options and select volunteer opportunities that speak to your interests (you select three; we assign you to one). Volunteering is a great way to learn more about our program and to connect with other parents.
I’m looking forward to our time together this year. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.
Leslie Ross, Director of Children's Religious Education
FUS youth in 6th - 8th grade are invited to Upham Woods for outdoor adventure and fun! [more]
Our Children's Religious Education classes are starting up soon! Join us on September 6 and 7 for our first day of classes. [more]
- that each and every person is important.
- that all people should be treated equally.
- that our churches are places where everyone is accepted and where we learn together.
- that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.
- that everyone should have a vote about the things that concern them.
- in working for a peaceful, fair and free world.
- in caring for our planet Earth.
Our Mission and Goals The mission of the FUS Children’s Religious Education Program is to facilitate ethical and spiritual development in our children. They will be empowered to become free thinking individuals who:
- Know and respect themselves and others.
- Contribute to their human and natural communities.
- Make informed decisions regarding their spiritual paths.
Our Goals include:
- Create a feeling of community within the
classroom and the congregation as well as a sense of oneness with the
- Help children and youth acquire an understanding
of the historical roots of UU.
- Promote those values that strengthen us to stand
against racism, homophobia, sexism, ableism, and other forms of
- Help children and youth develop respect for the
interdependent nature of all existence.
- Inspire an appreciation for our Judeo-Christian
heritage and the world’s other great religions.
- Guide and support children and youth in the
development and expression of a personal faith.
- Develop participants’ abilities to act with
integrity, responsibility, equity, and love.