The Mark Rosa Harpsichord Recital at First Unitarian Society seeks to provide visibility for one of the finest harpsichord replicas in the world and to promote harpsichord music in general. Artistic direction, production, and promotion of the Rosa Harpsichord Recital is shared by FUS Music Director Drew Collins and Madison Bach Musicians Associate Music Director Kangwon Kim. Each year, the recital is underwritten entirely by Sue Rosa–FUS is grateful for her generosity.
Announcing: Our Featured Artist for 2021-2022!
We are thrilled to welcome Jory Vinikour to FUS for the 2022 Mark Rosa Harpsichord Recital! Mr. Vinikour is one of the outstanding harpsichordists of his generation, with a career that takes him to the world’s most revered festivals, concert halls, and opera houses as recitalist and concerto soloist. Join us on April 22, 2022 to hear this outstanding player on FUS’s world-class French double harpsichord! www.joryvinikour.com.
Featured Guest Artists
For each Mark Rosa Harpsichord Recital, a different world-renowned harpsichordist is invited to play. When the recital originated, it was conceived as a biennial event, though it soon became annual.
- 2011-12 – Trevor Stephenson, with special guests Rachel Edie Warrick (soprano) and Monica Steger (Baroque flute). Works by J. S. Bach, Handel, and Scarlatti. *This was a memorial concert to celebrate the life and mourn the passing of harpsichord builder Mark Rosa (1950-2011, see below).
- 2012-13 – [No recital was presented this season. At this time, recitals were presented in alternating years.]
- 2013-14 – Stephen Alltop. Works by J.S. Bach, George Frederic Handel, Domenico Scarlatti, and F. Joseph Haydn.
- 2014-15 – [No recital was presented this season. At this time, recitals were presented in alternating years.]
- 2015-16 – Mark Shuldiner. Works by D’Anglebert, Munday, Storace, Sweelinck, and Frescobaldi.
- 2016-17 – JungHae Kim, with special guests Kangwon Kim (Baroque violin). Works by Sweelinck, Leclair, D. Scarlatti, d’Anglebert, Le Roux, and Corelli.
- 2017-18 – Joseph Gascho. Works by J.S. Bach, C.P.E. Bach, Scarlatti, and Rameau.
- 2018-19 – Jason Moy, with special guests Kangwon Kim (Baroque violin) and Kate Shuldiner (basse de viole). “The Angel, The Devil, and The Sun King: Music and Rivalry in the Court of Louis XIV”–Works by Marais, Duphly, Forqueray, and Rameau.
- 2021-22 – Jory Vinikour
About the Instrument
Harpsichord builder Mark Rosa constructed the instrument in 1979 (see more information about Mark below). Of all the instruments he built, it was this which served as his personal instrument. It is a replica of the 1769 Pascal Taskin “French double” harpsichord now housed at Edinburgh University. It features two keyboards, two 8-foot stops, one 4-foot stop, and two buff stops. The soundboard features a decorative painting by Julia Zwerts, which is based on the one found in the original 1769 instrument. In 2006, Mark and Sue Rosa donated it to First Unitarian Society, where it was fully restored by Norman Sheppard and Trevor Stephenson. Mr. Stephenson continues to maintain the instrument. The Mark Rosa Harpsichord Recital at FUS is a recurring event designed to showcase the instrument.
About the Builder
Robert Mark Rosa (May 31, 1950—November 18, 2011) was born and raised in Monroe, WI, where his interest in early music and harpsichord building began. He moved to Madison in 1981, and, for a brief period, built historical keyboard instruments for a living before returning to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completing degrees in linguistics and library science. He worked at UW-Madison Mills Music Library until retiring in 2005.