First Unitarian Society is home to five choirs: three children’s & youth choirs and two adult choirs. Each choir rehearses weekly from September through May, and participates in worship services throughout the year. Each choir sings an eclectic array of genres and styles. Our choirs provide excellent opportunities for learning, service, and community. Whatever your age, skill level, or experience, FUS has a choir for you! No audition is required. You do not need to be a member of FUS to participate. Scroll to read more about our Virtual Choirs.
Children and Youth Choirs
Virtual Gatherings for the 2020-2021 Program Year. Please be sure to sign up below to receive Zoom links.
Three choirs for our younger singers provide an important opportunity for children and youth to develop an appreciation for fine music while extending their circle of friendship at First Unitarian Society. All the choirs rehearse on Wednesday evening in the Music Rehearsal Room near the Atrium Auditorium. For more information on any of the choirs below, contact director Heather Thorpe.
The Cherub Choir, youngsters four years old through second grade, rehearse from 6:30 to 6:55 p.m. on Wednesday evenings.
The Choristers welcome children in the third through seventh grade and rehearse from 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings.
The Teen Choir
Singers from eighth grade through high school rehearse from 7:45 to 8:15 p.m. on Wednesday evenings.
Virtual Gatherings for the 2020-2021 Program Year. Zoom links available on the homepage.
Recent years have included a choir tour of our sister church in Transylvania and a performance of the Durufle Requiem at Carnegie Hall. For more information on either of the adult choirs, Music Director Drew Collins.
The Meeting House Chorus
World music, popular styles, and contemporary anthems. Rehearsals are Wednesday evenings 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
The Society Choir
Music of the masters from all periods. Rehearsals are Thursday evenings from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
Virtual Choirs at FUS
All are welcome! You don’t have to be a member of FUS, have sung in one of our choirs, or even be a resident of the Madison area.
Here’s how to join the fun:
- You will need two devices: one for listening, the other for recording. (For example, a computer and a smartphone.)
- On one device, open the “guide track” video. Using headphones or earbuds will allow you to hear the guide track video.
- On the other device, record as you sing along with this video. (Please only sing what you hear on the guide track.)
- Email your file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Virtual Choir” in the subject line.
Frequently Asked Questions about Adult Virtual Choirs:
- YES! Your video can be imperfect. The point is connection, not perfection. And remember, you may record as many times as you like (just be sure to send in only your best one!)
- YES! You may record more than one voice part. If you’re an alto who can also sing tenor, feel free to send two separate videos.
- YES! Your video may feature one or more singers.
- YES! You may invite friends and family to submit their own videos. All are welcome.
- YES! Singers of all ages may participate in the Virtual Choir projects, including children. Children and youth also have the opportunity to participate in their own virtual choirs, as members of Cherub Choir, Choristers, or Teen Choir (see above).
- YES! There are rehearsals you can attend to learn the Virtual Choir music. Both Meeting House Chorus and Society Choir rehearse each week, and we learn the Virtual Choir music during those rehearsals. All are welcome to attend, but attendance is not mandatory in order to participate in a Virtual Choir. Check our “Event Calendar” for meeting ties and locations, or contact email@example.com with questions.
- YES! There is someone you can contact if you have any problems making a Virtual Choir video. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help, or to set up a time to come to FUS to make a “drive-thru recording”!
- YES! There will be future opportunities to perform in Virtual Choirs with FUS. Check https://www.fusmadison.org/music/choirs/ periodically.
Adult Virtual Choir Video #1: “There Is A Love”
Deadline: Rolling—submit a video any time to email@example.com.
Service date: We use this as the musical response to our ‘Cares of the Congregation’ worship segment each week. Updated weekly.
Sheet music: Click here.
Guide track: Click here.
Submit your video: firstname.lastname@example.org (all videos will be included)
Adult Virtual Choir Video #2: “I Woke Up This Morning” (for service on March 7, 2021)
Deadline: Video submissions received after Monday, March 1, may not be included.
- Click here to view, download, or print the sheet music file. (Optional.)
- Click on the link below for your voice part’s “guide track video”.
- Sing along with your Guide Track Video until you are ready to record. (You may also come to rehearsals on Wednesday and/or Thursday nights. Go to https://fus.ministryplatform.com/portal/event_calendar.aspx.)
- Using your computer, tablet, or smart phone, make a “selfie video” as you sing along with your Guide Track Video. Please wear headphones or earbuds—this will allow you to hear the guide track video without it being heard on your video. Re-record as many times as you like, but it does not have to be perfect.
- Email email@example.com to request that you be added to the “G-Drive”. Don’t attach your video.
- Upload your one best video to the “G-drive” (click here).