The Road Home of Dane County’s traveling homeless shelter houses 4-5 families with children in a different religious institution’s building each week. This unique program is one of the few options in town that allow a family to stay together while seeking housing (usually fathers and older sons are not allowed in shelters that take women and children) in a more homelike and spacious setting attuned to the needs of children.
First Unitarian Society is a “helper” congregation for Christ Presbyterian Church on the near east side when they host the shelter. Four weeks per year we need volunteers to help with:
- Setting up bedrooms for the week and taking down at the end of the week
- Preparing and/or serving dinners and Saturday morning breakfast (you eat, too!)
- Playing with children after dinner until bedtime
- Sleeping at the shelter (in your own private, locked room) as an Overnight Host in case of emergencies
- Coordination tasks (we are currently especially in need of meal coordinators